Monday, May 16, 2011

MAC Blue Pigment Dupe

MAC Blue Pigment is something of a cult favorite. It was discontinued a while ago, and is relatively expensive when you can find it. I believe there are two nuances of this color however; one is the original from long ago and the other is from the Rebel Rock collection. The one that I duped is one of the original jars. The dupe in question is Turquoise Pearl Loose Shadow from NYX. I think these are normally about $3, but you can find them on sale as well at Ulta or online normally.
Can you tell the difference?
The above swatch is dry, on top of Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden. As you can tell, the two are not an exact dupe, but they are extremely close when used dry. (Left: MAC, Right: dupe) They both feature a glowy, raspberry jolly rancher color. I think the only real difference between the two when dry is that Turquoise Pearl features a bit of a duochrome shimmer. I used flash in the picture to show how shimmery each shadow is. Overall, I feel like this would be a great dupe for those who are not able to get their hands on the original MAC Blue.
Now when the two are used wet, it is a completely different story. I know some of you may like to foil your shadows. I was curious as to how they looked when wet, so here they are over primer and foiled:
This is where the huge differences come into play. Wet, the MAC pigment looks about the same, if not a little bit more vibant. The NYX one, on the other hand, is much more shimmery and brings out this green-teal side. Still very pretty, but a very different color from when the shadow is dry.
Overall, I think both of these shades are gorgeous. If you plan to use them dry, then you have an almost perfect dupe. Wet is a different story.

1 comment:

  1. Also from your pictures I think the jumbo eye pencil from NYX in 622A Electric blue matches the mac blue perfectly!

    ReplyDelete